Embassy of Belgium in the Czech Republic
Home Consular services Registration at a Belgian embassy or consulate

Registration at a Belgian embassy or consulate

*NEW* online registration via e-Consul

As of 10/11/2020, the Belgian Embassy in Prague offers the Belgian citizens who move to the Czech Republic the possibility to register online in the Consular population register.  Registration online is available in Dutch and French. You can access this website if:

  • you are Belgian
  • you are not (no longer) registered in a Belgian municipality and you have reported your departure abroad to the municipality;
  • has a valid and activated Belgian eID card
  • know your PIN code of your the eID card and have a card reader.

For further information about this new way of online registration you are welcome to contact the Consular section via email prague@diplobel.fed.be

Next to this online registration, it is still possible to register at the Consular population register by submitting all required documents per post or per email to prague@diplobel.fed.be


Why you should register

Having your name registered in the population register kept by a Belgian consulate or embassy abroad entitles you to benefit from the same services as those provided by municipal authorities in Belgium, i.e. the management of your administrative file. Registering allows the embassy or consulate to assist you more efficiently when issuing an identity card, issuing consular certificates (e.g. residence certificates, registration certificates, certificates of nationality, 'household composition' certificates, cohabitation etc.). You may also participate in some elections in Belgium (federal general elections, and European elections if you reside in an EU Member State).

Foreign nationals who are part of your family may also be entered in the relevant population registers. However, registration does not entitle them to obtain a consular identity card or a passport, nor does it give them the right to be registered as a Belgian voter. If they require consular assistance, they should contact the office representing their country of origin.

By keeping your file up to date you will enable the embassy or consulate to help you more immediately, including in situations when you need emergency humanitarian aid (e.g. accidents, natural disasters, evacuations, and so on).

More info...